Day 5 (Part 2) - Vatican City: Julia
Day 5 (Part 2) - Vatican City: Julia
Julia: On Thursday, we went to Vatican City where we stayed all day. We first went into St. Peter's Basilica which is the biggest Catholic church in the world. We climbed up the dome of the church which, while being extremely claustrophobic at times, was extraordinary. Once we got to the top of the dome, we could see this amazing view of Vatican City and the neighborhoods around it. I didn't have my phone for this day due to an unfortunate incident on the metro, but not having my phone forced me to live in the present and focus on the beautiful view before me. When I was up on top of the dome, I wrapped my hands around the metal bars and poked my head out between them so that my view wasn't obstructed by the bars. I may have looked strange to the other tourists on top of that dome, but all I was focused on was the beauty of what I was looking at. Beauty that wasn't clouded by the need to take pictures or the need to post on social media. Just beauty in its plain and simplest form.
After the dome of St. Peter's, we spent about an hour in the actual church which held some of the most impressive works of art and architecture I've ever seen. Every inch of the church was covered in detailed artwork and sculpture in a way that was almost overwhelming to take in. But after some time, I determined that the stained glass artwork on the back wall of the church was by far my favorite. It depicted a dove flying out of a burst of orange and yellow that was surrounded by wooden and golden sculpture. I spent at least five minutes just standing and staring at this piece, once again reveling in the presence of simple beauty.
Inside the Vatican Museums
After lunch, we went to the Vatican Museums where we saw even more art and sculpture. The obvious highlight was the Sistine Chapel with Michaelangelo's ceiling and wall paintings. While I absolutely loved the Sistine Chapel, I found that I really loved looking up at the lesser known ceilings. The detail that I found in those ceilings took my breath away and left me in a trance that quite literally almost made me run into a pole. I find it astonishing how art can have that effect on someone.
And so while Thursday was a jam-packed and exhausting day, I went to bed feeling satisfied and inspired.
In front of St. Peter's Dome
Julia, great to read what you and your Poly- St Peter's group experienced. Loved reading your take about life and its views from atop St Peter's dome: "but all I was focused on was the beauty of what I was looking at. Beauty that wasn't clouded by the need to take pictures or the need to post on social media." May you enjoy being fully there and not be captivated, like so many of us, by needing to get "post-able" photos. One of the reasons we, GIP, don't have phones is so that we can, just as you fully did, soak up the beauty of what is before you. Have a great transition to Valdobbiedene and time with your Italian family.
ReplyDeleteIt was great to revisit the Vatican through your eyes.and focus more on the "lesser known ceilings." There is so much beauty to treasure on this journey.
ReplyDelete