Day 2 - Rome: I came, I saw, I learned... Luciana and Ashley

Day 2 - Rome: I came, I saw, I learned... 

by Luciana and Ashley


Luciana: Today was amazing! First we went to the Capitoline Museum, and our guide Anne Marie (from the Paideia Institute) showed us around. The museum was filled with different marble sculptures many which were made after various Roman gods and figures such as Minerva and baby Hercules. My favorite sculpture was the one of Venus by Praxiteles. At the front of the museum was a sculpture of Emperor Constantine which has various parts of it like a foot and head. There was also an ancient library that overlooked the triumphal arches and the Forum which was so beautiful. 


A view of the Roman Forum from the Colosseum 

Another site we went to was the San Clemente Church. First we explored the underground part of the church and later learned about the inside of the church. There was an intricate mosaic of Jesus’s crucification, and we admired the detailed tiles on the floor. Some of the tiles had little lilies to represent Virgin Mary and others were shaped to look like the Star of David. At lunch, we got a short amount of time to go off on our own and get some food. This was our first chance to explore on our own. For dinner, I had a delicious pasta carbonara as well as tiramisu and gelato. Overall, the day was filled with amazing food and views.


Group photo on Palatine Hill

Ashley: After we visited the Capitoline Museum, we moved on to the Forum. I have been taking Latin since sixth grade at Poly and have fallen in love with Roman and Greek culture and history from its literature to its language, so to be standing at the top of the Palantine Hill in the heart of Rome was a dream come true for me. We could see almost all of Rome, and I was just so fascinated with the fact that all of these artifacts had survived centuries. It was incredible to see all the historical artifacts and artwork that we had studied in our Prose and Poetry of the Roman Republic (Latin 3-4) class in person, especially the rostra, which was the speaking platform for the Republic. 


Overlooking the Colosseum

After the church, we also visited the Colosseum, one of the greatest landmarks in the world. I had always dreamed of visiting it, and I was so stunned by the sheer size of it. I hadn’t expected it to be that big! Once again, it blew my mind that such a landmark had been preserved for so long. Looking around from the top of the Colosseum, I couldn’t help but be in awe, feeling so grateful to be going to a school like Poly that grants these amazing travel opportunities. I just know that on this trip, I will be expanding my horizons, rather than just Pasadena, and will learn and gain more insight of the greater world. I also am sure that all the experiences that I will have on this trip will last a lifetime. I can’t wait to explore Italy more in the coming days!

Comments

  1. Luciana and Ashley, so good to hear about your first full day in Roma. Wonderful to hear your love and fascination with Italian (Latin) culture over the years and NOW, you can walk to and through the legendary/world-renowned sites (Palantine Hill, the Forum,... the Colosseum- oh my!). We hope you continue to connect your studies to your present experiences and engagements.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Italy 2025 - Day 9: Padua - Amelia and Leela

Italy 2025 - Day 8: A Free Day with Italian Host Families - Filiz and Allison

Italy 2025 - Day 7: Venice - Anya and Carthan