Day 13 - Flying Home: Final Reflections
Day 13 - Flying Home: Final Reflections
Bridget: I had an amazing time in Italy. This trip was challenging in so many ways but also one of the most rewarding and fulfilling things I have ever done. One of my favorite days of this trip was Thursday the 15th when we took a hike to the Dolomites. The scenery was so incredible, and it was challenging while also being fun. I also loved the party we attended on Wednesday the 14th, which I actually didn’t expect to like at all since I’m very introverted. I had an amazing time dancing and playing cards with my friends. In Rome I learned more than I ever thought I would and I visited some of the most incredible places in the world. I walked more than I thought I would but I can definitely say that I am a better walker now. The home stay was a big switch for me from the super structured days we had in Rome to doing what ever the Italians wanted us to do that day. This switch as hard for me but it was also very good to get out of my comfort zone. I can confidently say that this is a trip I will remember forever.
Marcel: I greatly enjoyed this trip as it was my first time being in Italy. I loved staying with my host family, who I got to know more and I liked learning a lot about the places here and visiting them. Overall I thought this was a great trip and I would be thrilled to do it again!
Kaylin: Although I’ve been to Italy before, the previous trip could not compare in experiences, knowledge, and friends gained from this trip. I came into this trip a bit unsure because I had not met the majority of the people I would be traveling with due to conflicting meeting times. However, it turned out to be a pretty incredible experience. Not only did I meet new friends like Bridget and Marcel, but I also learned more about people I already knew like Julia, Peter, and Aliya.
Out of the entire trip, my favorite day was when we traveled to Venice. It was really nice to have hours of freedom to eat lunch, shop, and explore the city with friends. I also really enjoyed the first day in Rome where we saw the Colosseum, the Capitoline Museum, and the Roman Forum. Of course, the numerous amount of times we had gelato are also high on my favorites list. While I am notorious among my friends for my severe distaste for tomatoes and most tomato products, I grew to tolerate (if not actually enjoy) tomatoes through pizza, bruschetta, and pasta.
I think that the most challenging part of this trip for me was the social aspect. I am an introvert by nature and have even been accused of being a misanthrope. However, I was able to find a group of friends who are also (mostly) introverts to hang out and play games with. It also helped that the Italians were very welcoming to me. Some of my favorite parts of the home stay were playing cards, ping pong, and wii with Eleonora and her younger sister, Angelica. Despite the fact that I am a swimmer by nature and can’t run to save my life, I actually enjoyed the long hike we did on the last full day. Yes, it was second degree fun (Bridget told me this means it was not so fun in the moment but became fun when looking back), so I did struggle with the walking part of it; however, it was a truly beautiful view, and my friends and I played word games during the hike to distract ourselves.
The Rome part of the trip allowed me to learn more about Roman history and test my knowledge of Greek/Roman mythology. I think that this part was my favorite week mostly because I love learning new things, and as a Latin student, it’s fascinating to see the landmarks from our studies and translate Roman inscriptions. The Valdobbiadene trip was fun in a different way as it enabled me to cultivate friendships with not just people from Poly, but also the Italian students such as Eleonora and Giada. The trip as a whole was an incredible and memorable experience that I immensely enjoyed.
Everson: The trip to Italy was by far one of the most exciting things I have ever done. Staying in Rome for the first week and seeing historical sites such as the Colosseum, the Trevi Fountain, the Catacombs of Saint Sebastian, and many other things has just been breathtaking. I learned so much here, and I can’t wait to come back and share with everyone the knowledge I have taken in. During the second week of our adventure, we had the opportunity to stay in the town of Valdobbiadene with our warm and welcoming homestay hosts. Immersed in their daily lives, we got a firsthand experience of the local culture and formed lasting connections. We attended their school, where we had the chance to interact with Italian students and witness their educational environment in action. The highlight of the week was undoubtedly the time spent hanging out with our host's friends and building a great bond. The trip was great and I am forever grateful for my parents and teachers for making all of this possible.
Charlotte: From the countless museums to hikes, this trip was unforgettable and transformative. Immersed in extensive historic sites, I was in awe of everything we learned and got the opportunity to see. For example, one of my personal highlights the Capitoline museum and Palatine library. During our home stay I got to connect with my host family and make life long connections with Italian and American peers. For me this trip inspired so much joy and personal growth. I feel so lucky to be apart of this amazing group and experience.
Julia: One of the most memorable nights I had in Valdobbiadene was when one of the Italian students hosted a party for all the kids and parents. The group naturally split up into the kids gathering by the side of the house and the parents on the main patio. In the beginning, I mostly spent time dancing and playing soccer with my peers and the Italian students, but the night became truly memorable when I started switching between spending time with the kids and spending time with the parents.
When I first floated over to the main patio, I saw that the parents were doing something parallel to what their children were doing. They were dancing to the music of their childhood, spending time with the people they love, and radiating joy to all that came around them just like what the teenagers were doing on the side of the house. And so I decided to join the parents in their festivities. They cheered and danced and made me feel welcomed. I then switched back and forth between the two groups and felt the joy from each generation. I absolutely loved being a part of those moments, and I am truly grateful for the love and kindness of everyone around me.
Luciana: This trip was one of the happiest periods of my life. Staying with my host family the second week helped me fully immerse myself in Italian culture and lifestyle. I love traveling because it opens your eyes to the similarities and differences between different cultures and people. My host family had long dinners every night where we would talk for hours and had cappuccinos every morning together and coffee in the afternoon. These little moments helped me appreciate the smaller beautiful moments that life had to offer. On this trip I also made many strong connections and friendships with other Italian students. I plan to stay in touch with everyone I’ve met during my time there, and I’m extremely grateful to have this opportunity.
Noah: I truly loved this trip. From simply hanging out on the beach to a two hour hike, I cherish the many memories I’ve made and treasure the people I've had the pleasure to share them with. It may have been difficult to say goodbye, but we had to do it.
Langston: My Italy experience has been out of this world! Although I had a few challenges to overcome regarding the language barrier and social differences that existed within Italy, I enjoyed every memory I made. The food was excellent, the people were amazing, and the friendships I made were unforgettable.
Ashley: During my two weeks in Italy, I’ve made so many new memories and friendships that I will cherish for the rest of my life. Truly.
Seeing the student that I hosted just four months ago in her own element and hometown brought me so much joy. I was so sad to say goodbye, and so was she, but we both promised that we would see each other again in the near future, whether it be her flying to LA or I visiting Valdobbiadene. I promised that I will be cheering for her in all of her endeavors, and we will be staying in touch!
Since this the first time I’ve traveled to Europe, I’ve gained so much more insight of the world around me. I’ve gotten to see the differences in our cultures, whether it be the food or the language. I believe that it is extremely important to reflect on ourselves and learn new things and aspects that other countries or communities offer. For instance, I was born and raised in Seoul, South Korea for twelve years and have been going back and forth from LA to Seoul every single break. Therefore, I’ve been able to immerse myself in both cultures and further enrich my knowledge of the greater world, rather than just one.
Lastly, I am so so grateful for all the memories and sight seeing we have done on this trip. Without Poly’s GIP program and the help of the chaperones, I don’t think I would have been able to see such great monuments and artworks. Once again, I am so grateful for this kind of an opportunity to travel across the world!
Brandon: Italy has been an adventure I will cherish and remember for the rest of my life. The incredible friendships and activities we’ve participated in are some that can’t be done anywhere else. I’m extremely grateful for my parents, teachers, and host family and friends for making this trip happen. Although I wish that I could stay for a bit longer, I’m happy with all the memories I’ve made on this trip.
Peter: This trip to Italy has been a thrilling experience. By exploring all of the museums and basilicas/cathedrals, I have learned so much about the history and culture of Italy through its roots. However, by far my favorite part of the whole trip was exploring all over with my Italian friend Elia along with the rest of the Italians. We had already spent a week together looking around LA and doing everything he wanted to do while he was there, but it was a completely new and fun experience for me to be on the tourism side.
Throughout my time here, we tried food and visited famous Italian cities like Venice and Padova. We also did hikes to explore the Dolomites and Valdobbiadene. All these things made this trip one I will never forget. One day, I am sure I will return to Italy, and when I do, the first thing I will do is say "hi" to my wonderful host family, the Morettos and look to do everything I couldn't do on my first trip here.
Aliya: I think this trip in Italy was one of the best trips I’ve ever been on. In the past two weeks, we visited some of the most incredible sites in the history of western art and architecture. My personal favorites are the Vatican Museum, the Capitoline Museum, and St. Peter’s Basilica. We also visited Venice, and I think the day in Venice was probably my favorite day. I got to hangout with my friends and we did some very productive shopping. On Wednesday, we all had a big party at an Italian students’ house. We all danced. On our last day, we hiked the Dolomites in Cortina. The hike was tiring, but I also saw some of the best sights ever. I would definitely go to Italy again if I have the chance.
Comments
Post a Comment