Day 10 - Venezia (Venice): Marcel and Brandon
Day 10 - Venezia (Venice): Marcel and Brandon
The facade of St. Mark's Basilica (Basilica di San Marco)
Marcel: My trip to Venice with my class was a great experience. We started off by meeting up and taking a train from Montebelluna to Castelfranco, then Venice and when we arrived, we began our tour by walking through the streets and crossing numerous bridges. Our first major stop was St. Mark's Basilica in Piazza San Marco, and I was impressed by the golden mosaics and the size of the place. Inside, the walls were covered with gold and the mosaic-covered ceiling created a great sight.
After the visit, we had four hours of free time to explore Venice. This allowed us to go out to eat lunch and shop for gifts. We went into a glass shop, and I ended up buying a glass swan set, and I later purchased a nice watch. My friend Kaylin found and bought an interesting calligraphy pen/wax set as well as a hat and Bridget bought a flag. We even ended up eating some gelato.
For lunch, we settled in a restaurant. The restaurant didn't allow outside food, which we packed, so I decided to order a pizza while my classmates took turns going outside to enjoy their packed meals. To commemorate our trip, my friends and I got matching bracelets. Before we headed back to the train station to meet up with our group, we found a small shop where we ate cannolis and relaxed. Once I finally returned to Valdobbiadene, I took the time to relax, ate a nice dinner, and got ready for my day tomorrow. Overall, I enjoyed this day's adventure in Venice and I would love to do it again.
Riding the train
Brandon: Today I woke up around 7 AM and got ready to go to the train station in Valdobbiadene. Upon arrival, the whole group rode a train to Castelfranco. After transferring at that station and traveling for an hour, we finally reached Santa Lucia station in Venice. When we arrived, we could see the ocean and the city mixing together--canals covered in bridges and towers.
We then began walking around the city and learning about the history of Venice, which was formerly its own state. After we’ve walked around for a bit, we entered the Basilica di San Marco. The Basilica di San Marco was built to house the remains of the apostle Saint Mark's corpse. It also contained many beautiful mosaics as well as marble arches and pillars.
Sitting outside Santa Lucia station in Venice
Once we exited the Basilica, we were allowed four hours of free time to wander the city and shop. I hung around with Charlotte, Ashley, and Julia, and after we had lunch together in a nearby shop, we had a great time visiting different shops in Venice. They sold a variety of clothing and gifts, including colorful masks and items made of local glass. Overall, we had a great time with my friends.
Great pictures and love the "skylines" and happy faces too:-) Venice is a special city; hope you were able to learn about the unique challenges it faces in the 21st century. Sounds like you helped stimulate Venice's economy:-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a magical city that you've captured. It's amazing all you have seen and captured up until now.
ReplyDelete